From Pawn to Peace
Ever felt like you were being played? There have been times when I thought, “I feel like a pawn in a game.” I don’t play Chess so I didn’t really know what a “pawn” does. I did what anyone who doesn’t understand what something means does, I Googled it. To my amazement, a pawn is not the puny piece I previously thought it was. The pawn is progressive. It only moves forward and can be exchanged for one of the most important pieces on the board. In life, there will be times when we take one for the team; but that does not negate the fact that we have the potential to be transformed into a Queen.
- The definition of a pawn is a person or thing manipulated and used by others, or a game piece in the game of chess.
- A person unwittingly used in a scheme and taken advantage of by others is an example of a pawn.
How to Go From Pawn to Peace
- Keep moving forward. There’s no way you can reach the other side if you quit.
- Make friends with someone new. For every relationship in which familiarity breeds contempt, there is a new person praying for a friend like you.
- Do something new. Having a new experience can help you meet new people and remind you of your divine design.
- Try not to internalize someone else seeing you as expendable. Just because they don’t value you doesn’t mean you should view yourself as worthless.
- Commit to praying a simple prayer. “Lord, Give me a heart that forgives, a faith that forbears and a love that covers a multitude of manipulation.”
I won’t call you by name.
I will let you know, I won’t play your game.
Once upon a time, you controlled my peace.
If I didn’t make the right move, you would give me grief.
What I quickly learned, your right was my wrong.
You were content, until I refused to play along.
When I started to move forward on my own accord,
You got offended and tried to control the board.
I am happy to have been a pawn in your game.
Once perceived as weak, I’m no longer the same.
There’s no room for regret, embarrassment or pride;
I get to be Queen once I reach the other side!
A pawn is progressive, it affects the whole board.
If you feel like a pawn find your peace in the Lord.
The righteous will move onward and forward and those with pure hearts will become stronger and stronger. Job 17:9 (NLT)